Health in Arizona Policy Initiative – HAPI
This goal is accomplished through the support of local and national partners to improve the health and well-being of Navajo County residents through preventive health policy, system, and environmental change initiatives in Navajo County communities.
HAPI is a three (3) year collaborative efforts in Navajo County that can result in increased health policy capacity and implementation in the areas of school health and community design by promoting healthy lifestyles.
Healthy Community Design
Make streets safer for all users, including pedestrians, bicyclists, and users of public transit
- Increase perception of pedestrian safety and walkability
- Increase the annual sidewalks construction/reconstruction
- Safe Routes to Schools Improvements
- Upgrade traffic signals and pedestrian signal timings
Improve the quality of amount of physical education in schools and to increase the number of joint-use agreements among schools and/or community sites to make physical activity space accessible to the public before and after school hours
- Promote physical activity beyond school hours
- Decreases obesity rates among school-aged children
- May reduce anxiety and depression and promote positive mental health
Jeff Lee - Director