The Public Works Department maintains and provides up-to-date flood hazard information upon request for the unincorporated areas of Navajo County. A service that is frequently provided is the determination of the floodplain status for individual properties. Other services include floodplain mapping, inspections, and drainage complaints. The department also maintains historical, regulatory, and technical documents.
Navajo County Flood Control has been working with State and Federal departments including the Corps of Engineers to evaluate and design repairs and replacement of potions of the Winslow Levee to recertify the structure to help the community of Winslow. For more information click here
Flood Hazard Request
To obtain flood hazard information regarding a parcel; any of the following methods may be used:
Walk in: Navajo County Governmental Complex in Holbrook
Phone : (928) 524-4100
Fax : (928) 524-4122
E-mail : email@example.com
Mail : Public Works Dept. P.O. Box 668 Holbrook, AZ 86025
We need the following information to provide you with accurate flood hazard information in a timely manner:
- Your name, Company, and Phone Number
- Parcel Number(s) and/or Rural Address(es)
- Your Fax Number and/or Mailing Address
The following types of information are available:
- Information from the Federal Emergency Management Agency's (FEMA) Flood Insurance Rate Maps and Floodway Maps.
- Flood hazard information from studies not shown on the FEMA maps.
- A copy of the Navajo County Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance.
- A copy of Flood Insurance Study for Navajo County
- Copies of elevation certificates on file for structures located within a flood hazard area.
- FEMA Elevation & Flood- Proofing Certificate forms.
- Letter of Map Amendment and Letter of Map Revisions forms.
- Various FEMA publications and Technical Bulletins.
All requests for flood hazard information are answered in writing either by fax or mail. Please specify which you prefer. Most requests are answered within 2 business days, but some may take longer due to limited staff availability.
- In most cases, there is no charge for information or assistance. The exception is for large amounts of copied materials.
- The Department does not have flood hazard information for the incorporated communities of Winslow, Holbrook, Taylor, Snowflake, Show Low, Pinetop-Lakeside, and for lands within Navajo, Hopi, or Apache reservations. To obtain information in these areas please contact the appropriate city, town, or tribe.
- Navajo County uses the best available flood hazard information when issuing building, septic, grading, or other development permits. This includes flood hazard information not shown on the FEMA Flood Insurance Rate Maps. Please contact us to find if such information is available for a particular property.
- The Department does not provide copies of the FEMA maps. You can purchase these maps by contacting FEMA's Map Distribution Center at 1-800-358-9616, or order from the FEMA website.
- Lenders are legally responsible for determining if flood insurance is required for a loan. If someone other than a lender makes map determinations for this purpose, the determination must be guaranteed. The information provided by Navajo County is not a guaranteed determination.