Frequently Asked Questions

Welcome > Departments > Treasurer > Frequently Asked Questions

Treasurer - Frequently Asked Questions


How do I find out how much I owe for property taxes?

Please use the Parcel Information Search or contact our office by e-mail or by phone at (928) 524-4172

When are property taxes due?

The taxes may be paid in full by December 31st of each year or if paid in one-half installment, the first half is due on October 1st and becomes delinquent if not paid by 5:00 p.m. November 1st. The second half is then due on March 1st and becomes delinquent if not paid by 5:00 p.m. May 1st of the following year.

What is the interest fee for delinquent taxes?

The interest fee is 16% annually and is charged at 1.333% at the beginning of every month. Note: If you come to pay delinquent taxes on the 2nd of the month you will be paying interest for the full month.

Do you send out more than one tax bill in a year?
No. We mail out one tax bill the latter part of September. If you have not received your tax bill by October 1st, please call our office at (928) 524-4172
If I do not get a tax bill who is responsible?

It is the tax payers responsibility. If you have any questions please call our office.

Do I have to pay interest if I do not receive a tax bill?

Yes, although the Treasurer makes every effort to mail a tax bill to all property owners, the Arizona Revised Statues does not require the Treasurer to do so.

My mortgage company is supposed to pay my taxes, does the Treasurer send a bill to the mortgage company?

The Mortgage Company will contact either the Treasurer’s Office or the Department of Revenue to obtain information required for processing a payment.

What happens if property taxes go delinquent?

If the taxes are not paid before January of the following year a $5.00 or 5% penalty is assessed and the delinquent taxes are advertised in a countywide newspaper. In February a $10.00 penalty and a lien is placed on the property for the amount of the outstanding taxes, interest and penalties. This lien is called a "Certificate of Purchase".

Does the County sell my house if my taxes are delinquent?

When taxes are delinquent, a Tax Lien Sale is held to offer a tax lien certificate at public auction. This does not give anyone the right to enter or take possession of the property. If taxes are delinquent for a period of 5 years the purchaser has a right to foreclose on his/her lien. As of December 31, 2003, the Treasurer’s office no longer issues Treasurer’s Deeds to the purchaser of a tax lien, they must file for a Judicial Deed. Seven years from the date taxes go delinquent. Statutes require that the County foreclose on the tax lien on behalf of the State of Arizona.

Why did my property taxes go up?

Your tax bill is a calculation of Value “times” the Tax Rate. Increases can occur due to either or both, increase property value or higher budget demands from the jurisdictions who receive property tax dollars. A comparison of the values and rates, between last years tax bill and this years tax bill, can show you the specific areas of increase or decrease.

I sold this property, what should I do with the bill?

You may:

  1. Forward the bill to the new owner so they know there are taxes owing.
  2. Mark the envelope "sold" and return it to the Treasurer’s Office.
I am a new owner of this property; why am I being billed for the entire year?

Property taxes are assessed against the property, not the person. The Treasurer’s Office does not pro-rate taxes between new and prior owners. However, during the closing of a typical real estate transaction, tax amounts are pro-rated between buyer and seller by the Escrow Company. You may want to confirm this by checking your closing statement or by contacting your escrow company.

May I pay my taxes with a credit card, debit card, or eCheck?

Yes, visit the following website: There is a FEE for using this method of payment but keep in mind the County does not receive or benefit from any of the fees charged by this company. Keep in mind that this is for paying current year taxes only. Please call our office at 928-524-4172 if you need to pay any delinquent years. Note: Because these payments are first processed by a third-party company, it may take 5-7 business days to see your payment reflected on the website.

Where do I send my payment?

Make check payable to Navajo County Treasurer and submit to:

P.O. Box 668, Holbrook, AZ 86025.

Also do not forget to include your parcel number or your roll number.

Where do I find the monthly Treasurer's Report?

The monthly Treasurer's Report can be found here.